A Message from Principal Mrs. Debra Neubart
The weather may not yet be fully cooperating but it looks as though we’re about to turn the corner as we’re fully prepared for a very busy month of May…
- The month begins with our next round of NYS assessments in grades 3-5. Our rigorous math curriculum has more than prepared our students and they are now ready to shine!
- Soon to follow on May 7th is our school-wide STEM Day, with evening festivities of the Science & Engineering Fair/Art Show/Summer Recreation Expo. It is sure to be a highlight of the month!
- Along with this event, we have our final book fair running for a full week in early May. Please encourage reading in this BOGO event and stock up for summer fun!
- From STEAM to PE, our next exciting event this month is the well-loved Gym Show on May 16th. Come and see our students’ best skills on display at the HS Gymnasium.
- Believe it or not, even with all the inclement weather this year, we did not use all of our “snow” days and will have an extra day off for Memorial Day weekend. There will be no school from 5/25-5/28.
- Last but not least, please remember that our school budget vote is on May 15th this year. Be sure to mark your calendars and come out to vote.
We look forward to seeing many of you during this event filled month!
AWB celebrated how amazing our students are with a spectacular “Rockin’ Bowl” party on April 20th. Students reviewed our PBIS expectations (Be Safe, Be Responsible, and Be Respectful) followed by a variety of bowling themed stations. We want to acknowledge the following students for receiving positive referrals this month: Sydney Graciani, Brennan Herring, Gavriel Mora, Lillian Whitten, Joshua Brozowski, Caroline Gleason, Lynne Martens, Hunter Banahan, Kaydience Briggs, Jayla Jones, Gianna Krantz, Nikki-James Nunziato, Matthew teRiele, Shattarah Chislom, Annabella Dinuzzo, Carlee Loucks, Jason Maurer, Brodie O’Connell, Evan Proctor, Nicolas Sadowski, and Jimmy Walker. Keep up the good work AWB!
A.W. Becker PTA News
- Summer Rec Expo will be held in the cafeteria 5/7, great info on summer activities for families.
- Our last book fair will be 5/7 – 5/11, during classroom library times. It will also be open the night of the Art Show/Science Fair. It is BOGO, so a great chance to stock up on summer reading!
- PTA elections will be held during our 5/9 meeting at 6:45pm.
- Field Day volunteer forms are going home 5/1. You must fill it out to volunteer on that day!
Message from our school Nurse, Mrs. LeFevre
They are predicting another banner year for ticks; therefore, it is not surprising or uncommon to find ticks on people following outdoor exposure. We ask that you check your children thoroughly when they get home since this time of year they are often outside for recess and PE. Prompt and proper tick removal are very important for preventing possible disease transmission. Outdoor fun continues to be an important part of a child’s journey and should not be restricted for fear of ticks.
With the warm weather and increased sun exposure upon us, we want to remind parents about the rules regarding sunscreen at school. Students may carry and use topical sunscreen products approved by the FDA with the written permission of a parent or guardian. A record of this permission must be maintained by the school. A student who is unable to physically apply sunscreen may be assisted by unlicensed personnel when directed to do so by the student, if permitted by a parent or guardian and authorized by the school.