The Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk Board of Education (BOE) is beginning the process of searching for a successor to Superintendent of Schools Robert Libby, who will be retiring in June 2018.
In a presentation on March 7, Capital Region BOCES Superintendent, John Yagielski, provided the board with information and guidance about creating a succession plan for the search process. The board then elected first to consider internal candidates for selection and established criteria for the desired characteristics and skills that the district’s next leader should possess. Those qualifications can be found here.
Now, the board seeks interested community members and district employees to be part of two stakeholder groups that will conduct interviews with selected candidates. Each group will consist of parents, community representatives, employees selected by their association’s leaders, and selected administrators. Members of the stakeholder groups will be asked to commit to meeting twice during the search process.
The groups will first meet at 6 p.m., April 26 for a special session during which Yagielski will review the search process in a short presentation. Participants will then develop a list of questions for the candidate interviews.
The groups will then reconvene at 6 p.m., May 9, to conduct stakeholder group interviews of the candidates. Representatives from each group will report the results of their interviews to the board.
If you are interested in participating in a stakeholder group, please email Brenda Walton at email@example.com by 5 p.m., Thursday April 13. Include your name, email, phone number and relationship to the district (parent, community member, etc.) in the email.
Please note, interest in participation does not guarantee a position in a stakeholder group as each group will have a limited number of positions available. The district will be contacting potential group member the week of April 16.
Selection process timeline:
- March 7: Succession planning presentation to BOE
- March 24: Board officers meet to review process, timeline, stakeholders
- March 28: Begin identifying stakeholders and extend invitation to participate
- April 12: Extend invitation to potential internal candidates
- April 25: Internal candidate response of interest due
- April 26: Stakeholders session to review process and develop questions
- May 2: First-round interviews by BOE, as needed
- May 9: Second-round interviews by stakeholder groups
- May 23: Stakeholder groups report to BOE
- May 30: Third-round interviews by BOE
- June 6: BOE determines if it will make an offer
- June 20: BOE appoints new superintendent, or moves to seek external candidate