The Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk School District’s fleet of roughly 40 vehicles travel more than 5,600 miles a day, providing transportation to district students, as well as students from the district that attend private schools.
At the beginning of each school year, the district asks families to complete a transportation request form for students who attend childcare either before or after school. Find the Transportation Request to Childcare Locations form here.
Transportation will be provided to childcare locations for Grades K-8 subject to these guidelines:
- Requests for transportation to childcare locations must be within the child’s home school boundary.
- Written requests for service must be submitted on Transportation Request for childcare Location Forms by August 1st. previous to the school year the service is needed.
- Multiple childcare locations will not be accepted.
- Changes of childcare locations will not be accepted from August 15 through to the third Monday of September.
- Requests must be renewed each school year.
- Any permanent change during the school year, should be submitted at least five days in advance and be made on the request form. (Please note: it may require up to 10 days to initiate request)
Out-of-District Transportation Requests
The deadline for out-of-district transportation requests is April 1. New York State Education Department states: “In order to obtain transportation for their children, parents must file requests with the district in which they live by April 1 of the preceding school year or within 30 days of moving into the district.”
In order to prepare and set up routes, we MUST have all applications by April 1 of the preceding school year.
Download transportation request form and return to the RCS Transportation Department located at 2025 RT 9W, Ravena, NY 12143.
Parents of Juniors and Seniors
If you have a junior or senior who is going to drive to school this year, please let the Transportation Department know. This will help make the transportation student lists more accurate and give better service.
Emergency bus evacuation drills
Each year, RCS, in compliance with New York State Education Law, holds three evacuation drills. During the 15-minute drills, drivers explain bus safety rules and regulations, such as proper behavior and crossing procedures as well as how to locate safety equipment and the emergency exits. Students also learn how to secure the bus, operate the two-way radio and safely evacuate the vehicle in the event of an emergency.
Instruments on the Bus
The RCS Transportation Department asks that for safety reasons, only musical instruments small enough to fit on a student’s lap may be transported on the school bus. Parents should make other arrangements to get larger band instruments to school.
Become a school bus driver
Looking for a fun and exciting part-time position? Then, consider becoming a substitute bus driver for the RCS Central School District.
Training will be provided to qualified applicants. To learn more about this exciting opportunity to earn extra money while working in a congenial environment that benefits students, contact the Transportation Department at (518) 756-5241.