Our community, state and nation have encountered some real challenges over the past few months. Food availability for some of our students and families is among those challenges. RCS is fortunate to have a few opportunities for our children and families in need to be fed through the summer.
“As a district, we feel this is our way of ensuring that barriers in receiving food are not negatively affecting a student’s ability to learn and grow,” said RCS Assistant Superintendent Fred Engelhardt, “The more we can provide opportunities in receiving food, we lessen families’ anxieties.”
Here are three summer food opportunities for our students and/or families within the RCS community:
Backpack Program: The RCS school district has a weekend food backpack program to meet the needs of our students. Although this volunteer-run program traditionally operates only during the school year, a generous grant from the Stewart’s/Dake Foundation has made it possible for school district volunteers to continue through the summer. Our volunteers come together once a week to fill “backpacks” with food for students to consume over the weekend. If your child(ren) is in need of this resource, please contact your child’s main office at (518) 756-5200.
The Kindness for Kids program (formerly known as The Matthew Project) is a community outreach program designed to assist in meeting the nutritional needs of children (up to 18 years old) in the RCS community throughout the summer. The program is coordinated by Abounding Love Christian Fellowship.
The Albany County Health Department approved church facility is used as the food preparation site for nutritious “brown bag” lunches. These meals are delivered around lunch time, Monday through Friday, to various locations in our community, including Coeymans Landing, the Village of Ravena, and locations up and down 9W. For more information, please call (518) 756-6542 or visit www.aboundinglove.net for locations and times of drop-off.
Food Pantries: Families in need of essential food services can also access the community food banks in the area. Please know that each food pantry may have different hours of service and delivery options than are listed below. Reach out to the organization to find out any additional information on how you can access their resources over the summer months.
“The PANTRY” at St. Patrick’s
Location: “The PANTRY” can be found on the side of Saint Patrick’s Church on North Clement Ave. in Ravena, N.Y.
Hours of service: The Food Pantry is open on: Tuesday 10-11:00 am; Wednesday 6-7:00 pm and Friday 10-11:00 am
All that is needed is your name, address, proof of residency, and the number of people that live in the house. No income information is required! Deliveries are available.
Contact information: If there are any questions contact Michelle King at (518) 929-0591 or Diane Hoffman at (518) 330-6789.
Trinity UMC Food Pantry
- Hours of service: Typically the last Monday (5-6:00 pm) and last Saturday (10-11:00 am) of each month, depending on holidays, school vacations and church events. Or by appointment.
- Location: 1313 State Route 143. Coeymans Hollow, NY 12046.
- Contact information: Please call 518-756-2812 for additional information.
Venture Churches Food Pantry (First Reformed Church of Bethlehem)
- Hours of service: Tuesday 10-11:30 am and 5-7:00 pm, or by appointment.
- Location: 38 Church Rd. Selkirk, NY 12158
- Contact information: Reach out by phone at 518-767-2243.
Onesquethaw Reformed Church Food Pantry
- Hours of service: Open the Tuesday after the second Thursday of each month 8:30-10:30 a.m., or by appointment.
- Location: 11 Groesbeck Lane, Feura Bush, NY 12067
- Contact information: Please call 518-768-2133 for additional information.
Helping Harvest – Helping Harvest is a community food assistance program for low-income families.
- Hours of service: Wednesdays and Fridays 2-6:00 pm; Thurs & Sat 10-2:00 pm
- Location: Faith Plaza (home of Shop N’ Save and CVS). Go down the mall hallway (enter between China King and Ravena Pizza) and Helping Harvest is the last door on the right.
- Contact information: For additional information, please call 518-756-9091 or visit their website at www.HopeFullLifeCenter.org. You can also reach them on Facebook.