The purpose of this message is to notify you that all of our RCS school buildings will shift to Remote Instruction on Thursday, February 25. Again, the RCS High School, RCS Middle School, Pieter B. Coeymans and A.W. Becker students will work remotely this Thursday.
- Students in grades 5-12 should log into their Google Classroom at 7:30 AM and follow their schedule for the day.
- Elementary students should log into their Google Classroom at 9 AM on Thursday and follow the instructions from their teacher.
- Self-contained special education students K-12 will be in-person on Thursday.
We need to move to remote status because RCS has over 60 staff members from our buildings and transportation who have had their second vaccination shot rescheduled due to inclement weather across the country over our winter break. Although their vaccinations will be this afternoon or evening, our experience with vaccinations thus far has demonstrated that a fair number of vaccinated individuals display symptoms 24 to 48 hours after their second shot. We have enough staff being vaccinated that there’s a high-risk that they will not be well enough to report to work on Thursday. Rather than notifying families of this potential switch to remote instruction at 5:30 AM on Thursday, we are being preemptive and sending this notification today.
We have cohorts of staff who have and will continue to receive their vaccines in groups over the next few weeks and months. This may precipitate the need to move some or all buildings to remote status in the future. We will keep you informed as soon as possible if these issues arise.
Our district is planning the following statuses for Thursday, February 25:
- A.W. Becker Elementary will be fully remote
- Pieter B. Elementary will be fully remote
- Grades 5 and 6 will be fully remote
- Self-Contained Students with Disabilities will continue with in-person instruction
- Grades 7-12 will be fully remote
CTE, private school, and out of district placement students will be transported
Food will be available for pickup at each school building between 8 AM and 11 AM for families who would like to pick up breakfast and lunch on Thursday, February 25.
Grades 7-12 students should follow their regular daily schedule beginning at 7:30 AM.
As a reminder, school schedules may be found here: full schedule available here.