The purpose of this message is to notify you that:
1. All of our RCS school buildings will shift to fully remote Instruction, on a shortened schedule next week on Friday, March 12 so that our staff may participate in professional development.
2. The district will be moving its previously scheduled half-day professional development day from Monday, March 15, to Friday March 12. Monday, March 15 will now be a regular school day.
On Friday, March 12:
- Students in grades 5-12 should log into their Google Classroom at 7:30 AM and follow their schedule for the day. Instruction will conclude at 11 AM.
- Elementary students should log into their Google Classroom at 9 AM and follow the instructions from their teacher. Instruction will conclude at 11 AM.
- Self-contained special education students K-12 will also be fully remote and will follow the schedules above on Friday, March 12
- CTE, private school, and out of district placement students will be transported on March 12
RCS has chosen to make this change and move to fully remote status on March 12 because a large number of staff members from our buildings and transportation will be receiving their second vaccination shot on Thursday, March 11. Although their vaccinations will be in the afternoon or evening, experience has proven that a fair number of vaccinated individuals display symptoms 24 to 48 hours after their second shot. We have enough staff being vaccinated that there’s a high-risk that they will not be well enough to report to work on Friday. We are being preemptive, moving our professional development half day to Friday, March 12, and sending you this notification today.
We have cohorts of staff who have and will continue to receive their vaccines in groups over the next few weeks and months. This may precipitate the need to move some or all buildings to fully remote status in the future. We will keep you informed as soon as possible if these issues arise.
Our district is planning the following statuses for Friday, March 12:
- A.W. Becker Elementary will be fully remote, 9 - 11 AM
- Pieter B. Elementary will be fully remote, 9 - 11 AM
- Grades 5 and 6 will be fully remote, 7:30 - 11 AM
- Self-Contained Students with Disabilities will be fully remote, 7:30 - 11 AM
- Grades 7-12 will be fully remote, 7:30 - 11 AM
CTE, private school, and out of district placement students will be transported.
Student meals will be available at each school building for pickup on Friday, March 12, from 8-11 am, in front of each building. Please note that the high school pickup location will be at the loading dock.
As a reminder, school schedules may be found here: full schedule available here.