Dear RCS Students, Families, and Staff,
It is almost that time of the year again! The 22-23 school year is right around the corner, and we are looking forward to welcoming all of our students, staff, and families back to school.
At this time, New York State and the New York State Education Department (NYSED) have not released guidelines regarding the beginning of the 22-23 school year in relation to COVID. The Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk Central School District will return to operations as they were prior to the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are starting to share important information regarding the 22-23 school year. Please read this letter carefully to familiarize yourself with important details regarding the beginning of the new year. More information will be shared as it becomes available in the coming weeks.
If you have any questions, please reach out to your student’s building:
Pieter B. Coeymans
(518) 756-5200, ext. 5002
(518) 756-5200, ext. 4001
(518) 756-5200, ext. 3001
(518) 756-5200, ext. 2002
This letter contains information regarding (see below for details):
- Opening Schedule for the 22-23 School Year
- RCS Returning to Pre-Pandemic Status
- Free and Reduced Price Meal Applications – Apply now!
- Chromebook Distribution
- 22-23 School Year Calendar
- Transportation Information
- New Leaders at RCS
- Checking the website and mobile app regularly for updates
- How to use the website videos
- Physical & Immunization Requirements for the school year
- Code of Conduct
- School Supplies
- Fall Sports
1. Opening Schedule for the 22-23 School Year: View information about the first week of school, Welcome Start, and Orientation dates here.
2. RCS will return to pre-pandemic status for the following areas: Breakfast, lunch, classroom floor plans, instruction in the classroom, small group instruction, open houses, sharing of supplies, birthday treats, recess, clubs/extracurricular activities, music, athletics, visitors to the building, and field trips. More information will be coming from the district and/or each individual building as opening day approaches.
3. Free and Reduced Price Meal Applications – Apply now! Beginning this fall, the Food Services programs at RCS CSD will go back to operating as they did prior to March 2020. Breakfast and lunch will be available to all students, however, these meals will not be free for all students during the 22-23 school year. Based on family size and income, your family may qualify for free or reduced-price meals. All information is kept strictly confidential. Click here to learn about free or reduced price meals and meal prices for the 22-23 school year.
4. Chromebook Distribution: Please click here to see information regarding Chromebook distribution for the 2022-23 school year.
5. 22-23 School Year Calendar: The school district has released the one-page calendar for the 22-23 school year. That can be accessed here. The wall calendar is scheduled to be delivered to residents in early September. The digital version of the wall calendar will be available on the district website next week and will be sent to families via email.
This year the print wall calendar will only contain static dates, open houses, recesses, half-days, etc. Dates for social events such as dances, PTA/PTO/PTSO events, and celebrations will be available on our digital calendar only.
6. Transportation Information: Please click here to read important transportation information for the 2022-23 school year. It included information about bus routes, bus passes, dismissal times, and more.
7. New Leaders at RCS: We have hired some new leaders in our district over the summer. Learn a little more about each of them here:
- New Middle School Assistant Principal Stephen Doran
- New Elementary Assistant Principal Victoria DeGouff
- New Director of Athletics, Physical Education, Health & Wellness Jennifer Murphy
8. Checking the website and mobile app regularly for updates: RCS will continue to utilize the district website, and RCS Connects mobile app to communicate directly with our school community. If you haven’t done so already, please take a moment to sign-up for RCS Connects. A video tutorial on the use of the app and where it can be downloaded for free can be found on our website. Installing the app is easy and will provide users with the best way to receive news and updates from RCS.
9. How to use the website videos: Looking for something you can’t find? Check out our RCS Website Instructional Videos (click here) to learn how to easily navigate our website. Can’t find a video that would help? There is a google form on the linked page above to make a recommendation!
10. Physical & Immunization Requirements: The New York State Education Department (NYSED) requires a physical exam for new entrants and students in Grades Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11; annually for interscholastic sports; and working papers as needed; or as required by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Pre-School Special education (CPSE). Click here for the Required NYS Health Examination Form.
If such an examination is not provided, the school is required by law to provide the exam and it will be completed by our School's Medical Director. A letter will be sent home if there are any findings on the screening done at school that would cause concern or needs medical follow-up. Please call the school’s Health Office if you have any questions or concerns.
A dental exam is recommended for all children entering this school system for the first time and for all children entering grades Pre-K, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. Click here for the Dental certificate.
To learn more about immunization requirements in New York State or to contact a school nurse, please click here.
11. Code of Conduct: The RCS Code of Conduct can be found on our website here. Hard copies are also available in the main office of all RCS school buildings. The summer is the perfect time of the year to read and review the Code of Conduct!
12. School Supplies: The District has shared information regarding school supplies for the 22-23 school year here. Please contact your building principal with any questions.
13. Fall Sports: Fall Sports registration is underway at RCS for modified, Junior Varsity, and Varsity sports. Register and learn more here.
If you have any questions regarding anything covered in this letter, please contact your student’s building (contact information above). More information will be shared shortly.
We can’t wait to see you!