If you have any questions, please contact your student's building. There will be no letter next week due to the Winter Recess, please see below for details. This newsletter includes:
New Information =
- Winter Recess Next Week
- Spring Sports Registration
- Senior Hannah Vanderzee breaks RCS's all-time leading scoring record for RCS women's basketball
- Upcoming Grade 3 through 8 NYS Testing
- Upcoming Important Dates
- Upcoming Strengthening Families Program
- Summer 2023 - Apply Now to RCS Discovery Camp
- Section II Athletics to Offer “Digital Tickets” for Winter Sectional Only Events
- NYSED Memo on Use of Native American Mascots Update
- RCS Celebrations & Stories
- Direct Links
Winter Recess Next Week: There will be no school for the Winter Recess, Monday, February 20, through Friday, February 24. The district will be closed on Monday, February 20. Classes will resume for all students on Monday, February 27.
Spring Sports Registration: On Monday, February 13, Junior Varsity and Varsity sports registration opened for students in grades 9 through 12. Next, Monday, February 20, modified sports registration opens for students in grades 7 and 8. To learn more about the registration process and sports offered in the spring, please click here.
Senior Hannah Vanderzee breaks RCS's all-time leading scoring record for RCS women's basketball: Congratulations to Senior Hannah Vanderzee, who recently broke the RCS all-time leading scoring record for RCS women's basketball with 1,337 points! She broke the record of Alumna Robin Mortensen Reed in 1979, and the season isn’t over yet! Wonderful job, Hannah! Click here to learn more.
Upcoming Grade 3 through 8 NYS Testing: We shared a letter this week with elementary and middle school families, which included information and the schedule for the upcoming state testing for students in grades 3 through 8. You can access that letter here.
Upcoming Important Dates (Click here to access the RCS calendar):
- Monday, February 20: Presidents’ Day, District Closed & No School
- Monday, February 20 - Friday, February 24: Winter Recess, No School
Later in the Month:
- Monday, February 27: Classes Resume for All Students
- Wednesday, March 1: Board of Education Meeting at High School, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 1: SAT Exam for Juniors (in school)
- Wednesday, March 1: *New Date* Pre-Kindergarten Registration for the 23-24 School Year Opens (online)
- Friday, March 3: End of Second Trimester (PK-5)
- Friday, March 3: Summer 2023 Enrichment Program - Discovery Camp Applications Due
- Saturday, March 4: *New Date* event postponed from 2/4 due to cold weather – The Class of 2025 Lights the Winter Night Walk Fundraiser
- Thursday, March 9: 8th Grade Parent Night/Charting Your Course at HS, 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 10: End of Q3 5-week Interim Period (MS/HS)
- Friday, March 10 & Saturday, March 11: High School Drama Club Production, 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, March 12: High School Drama Club Production, 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 14: Middle School Spring Picture Day
- Tuesday, March 14: Parent University - Special Education, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 15: Board of Education Meeting at High School, 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 15: Parent Conference (Early Dismissal PK-8)
- Thursday, March 16: Parent Conference (Early Dismissal PK-8)
- Thursday, March 16: 6th-12th Grade Band MIOSM Concert, HS @ 7:00 p.m.
Upcoming Strengthening Families Program: The Albany County Cornell Cooperative Extension is offering a Strengthening Families Program. This program is an interactive three-week series. During each session, parents/caregivers and their youth will learn ways to build on existing strengths, improve communication skills, and have fun together. Advanced registration is required, and dinner will be provided. Click here to learn more and register.
Summer 2023 - Apply Now to RCS Discovery Camp: This is a free and exciting Summer Enrichment Program. This program is now being offered to all students entering grades 1 through 8 during the 23-24 school year who may want additional assistance to ensure that they maintain their academic skills during the summertime. More information can be found here and was sent home via backpack mail.
Section II Athletics to Offer “Digital Tickets” for Winter Sectional Only Events: For the 22-23 winter athletic contests, Section II Athletics announced that it will use GoFan digital ticketing for spectators to purchase tickets to ‘sectional only’ events. Click here to learn more and access the link to purchase tickets online, or click here to access the RCS Athletics Schedule on the Colonial Council Website.
NYSED Memo on Use of Native American Mascots Update: In January, we released an update about the New York State Education Department (NYSED) issued Memo regarding the Use of Native American Mascots, which includes information on how to make a public comment to the state regarding the new guidance and proposed amendment to the regulations. You can access that update here.
RCS Celebrations & Stories: There is a lot of exciting and interesting stuff happening at RCS! Check out what has been going on around the district here.
- RCS COVID-19 Protocols Quick Guide for determining when your student can return to school
- RCS COVID-19 Management Plan 22-23
- Emergency Closing, Delay, and Dismissal Information
- 22-23 School Year Information Guide
- Board of Education
- Contact your student's counselor
- School Calendar
- Code of Conduct
- Who to Contact and When Guide
- Transportation Information
- Staff Directory
- Download RCS Connects!
- SchoolTool Parent Portal
- Food Service Menus
- Click here to see a list of the current fundraisers!
- RCS Community Resource Guide
If you have any questions about anything covered in the letter, please reach out to your student’s building for clarification. Thank you.